You've heard about period pants, and you're wondering if they can help manage your heavy (or super heavy) flow. We're here to tell you that yes, period pants are a great solution for women who have trouble finding a product that works for them. But first, let's talk about what these reusable pants actually are, how they work, and why they're such a big deal in the world of menstruation products!
What are period pants?
Period pants are a type of underwear designed to be worn during your period. They look like regular underwear, but have built-in layers of special materials designed to absorb blood and prevent leaks.
Unlike disposable pads and tampons, which have to be thrown away after each use, period pants are washable and reusable, making them a great eco-friendly alternative. They also come in different styles, from Bikini to High-Waist, and are available in different absorbencies, from Super Light to Super Heavy.
Are period pants good for a heavy flow?
If you're someone with a heavy flow, period pants can be a good option. They can hold up to five tampons worth of blood, so they'll keep you feeling dry throughout the day. Plus, they're made from breathable, natural materials, so you can feel more comfortable wearing them than with pads or tampons! You can take a look at our heavy period pants here.
How do period pants work?
Our period proof underwear is designed to look and feel like regular underwear, but absorbs up to 40mL of liquid in less than 3 seconds. Whether you're looking for protection from periods, incontinence, or any other leaks, we've got you covered.
All of our leak-free products feature our reliable built-in tech, to keep you worry-free all day long. Here's how it works:
- Top layer quickly wicks moisture, keeping you fresh and dry.
- Absorbent middle layer locks in liquid.
- Breathable bottom barrier pushes liquid back up to prevent leakage.
Our period underwear is made from breathable, lightweight fabrics like Organic Cotton or TENCEL Modal — making them ultra-thin yet secure. They look like regular underwear and work like magic. They can be worn for up to 12 hours, then rinsed, washed and worn again.
Are period pants better than disposable period products?
There are many reasons that period pants perform better than disposable pads and tampons. Here's a few:
- Built-in tech: our reliable super-absorbent gusset absorbs liquid for up to 12 hours
- Secure seam protection: leak-proof seams keep you protected from side leaks
- Soft and comfortable: natural fabrics feel feather-soft against your skin
- Toxin free: made from natural, breathable materials with no added chemicals or toxins
- Washable and reusable: a cheaper and more eco-friendly alternative compared to disposable pads and tampons
How long can you wear period pants?
It depends on the brand and style, as some brands are more absorbent than others. Our period underwear comes in different absorbencies, from Super Light to Super Heavy, and can be worn for up to 12 hours. They completely replace disposable pads and tampons, and we have different styles, including our Sleep Shorts, which are designed to be used overnight with no leakage.
It's important to remember that everyone is different, and you know your flow best. If your flow is heavier than average, then it might not be possible for you to wear them for as long as other people can without experiencing discomfort or leakage. This is why we recommend you try your new period pants at home for the first few times, to get used to wearing them and to work out what works best for you.
How do you wash period pants?
Washing your period pants is super easy. If you follow these three steps, they will be good for years to come:
- Wash with similar colours in 30 degrees or less, with a mild detergent.
- Hang to dry. Tumble drying can damage the built-in leak proof technology.
- Don't use fabric softener! This can cause a film to develop on the top layer of the underwear, making it harder for them to absorb the moisture.
As long as you follow these steps, your period underwear should last you at least three years, saving you money and saving the environment!
What are the best period pants for a heavy flow?
The best period pants for a heavy flow are ones that fit your body well, feel comfortable, and absorb your flow well. Period pants come in different styles, from High Waisted to Boyshort, so choose a style that you feel comfortable wearing.
Also, be sure to pick an absorbency level that suits your flow. At fluxies, our absorbencies range from Super Light (ideal for spotting and light bleeding) to Super Heavy (ideal for heavy bleeding or overnight protection), so you'll need to pick something that will offer enough protection.
If you're still stuck on what style to go for, here's our top three best-selling period pants for a heavy flow:
We hope this explanation has been helpful, and that we've made it easier for you to choose the right period product for your heavy flow. If you have any other questions about period pants or other products, please don't hesitate to reach out! We're always here for our customers.
Why is my period so heavy?
Heavy flows, cramps and pain can all be common experiences for people with periods, and each person's menstrual flow and cycle are different. Everyone is different, and your period flow can range from light to heavy. It can be normal for some people to have a heavy flow. If your period is so heavy that it is stopping you from doing your normal daily activities, you might want to look into this a bit further.
How much is a heavy period flow?
People with periods lose an average of 30 to 40 mL of blood during a period, and a heavy flow is usually defined as losing up to 80mL. If you experience abnormally heavy menstrual bleeding, you may have a condition called menorrhagia.
How can I stop my periods from being so heavy?
If you have heavy periods, there are solutions and lots of help available! Some things that can help include:
- Natural treatments: resting with a hot water bottle, running a nice warm bath, or a relaxing massage to help soothe the aches. You can also try drinking warm herbal teas like chamomile, or gently rubbing essential oils like peppermint onto the affected cramping areas.
- Change your period products: Switching from internal period protection like tampons or menstrual cups can reduce pain, and some people even say their period flow is lighter when they wear period pants!
- Exercise: Being active on your period can help with the pain and discomfort by increasing circulation, and also boosting your mood by releasing endorphins to make you happy.
- Reduce your stress: Having 'me time' is important when you're suffering with period pain. You can try reducing your stress levels by taking some time for yourself to relax at home, reading a good book, and reducing your screen time.
- Improve your diet: One of the most common side effects of losing so much blood is becoming anaemic, and one of the easiest and most natural options to help reduce this is to add more iron to your diet. Foods rich in iron include dried fruits, green leafy vegetables, beans and pulses.
- Regular sleep: Getting good quality sleep is essential on your period. Settling in to a 'bedtime routine' and winding down an hour or two before you are trying to sleep can be a great way to improve your sleep quality. Read our 5 proven ways to get better sleep on your period here.