Join fluxies for Earth Day. Choose to invest in Mother Earth by ditching disposables and switching to reusable period underwear.
What is Earth Day?
We're Earth Day falls on April 22 every year and celebrates the environmental movement that started in 1970. In the first ever Earth Day, protests took place across America, and by 1990, Earth Day was an event celebrated by more than 140 countries around the globe.
Earth Day raises awareness of the impact we have on the planet, and looks at how we can reduce this. It brings millions of people together and reminds us that we need to reduce our impact and protect our planet.
Why Is Earth Hour Important?
More than fifty years after the first Earth Day, it is clear that we're in a climate crisis. Temperatures have risen dramatically, and we're running out of time to fix the damage already done.
Earth Day is important for the future of our planet and future generations. By taking action on Earth Day, and using this single day to reflect on our daily choices and lifestyle habits, we can introduce changes that can have a big impact on the waste we produce and help reduce our carbon footprint.
How We Can Help On Earth Day And Every Day
There are many ways to be environmentally friendly in our daily lives to help reduce waste and make more of an environmental impact. We've put together a list of 10 simple ideas that can make a big difference:
- Follow the three R's: Reduce, recycle and reuse around your household. You'll save natural resources, energy and money, while reducing waste going to landfill.
- Save energy in your household: There are small changes to save energy, including turning off lights and electronics when they're not in use.
- Give your car a break: Try walking or riding a bike to work or school this week. You'll save money, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and get more exercise. Win-win!
- Bring your own bags when you go shopping: Instead of plastic bags, use reusable bags that you can use again and again.
- Join the local community: Get involved with environmental work in your local community. Local communities often offer volunteers opportunities to clean up parks, restore habitats, and other ways to make the community greener.
- Encourage your family to plant a tree: Planting trees can help lower the temperature of your city, clean the air and provide oxygen.
- Use a refillable water bottle: Just because you’re tossing your plastic water bottles into the recycling bin doesn’t mean they're not hurting the environment.
- Shop smart and savvy: The fashion industry is responsible for 8% of the world's greenhouse gas emissions. Treat yourself to a new look without hurting the environment! Instead of purchasing something brand new, look for pre-owned clothing.
- Spend time outside: Earth Day reminds us how beautiful our planet is. Sometimes we are so wrapped up scrolling through Instagram, that we forget this.
- Switch up your period routine: Ditch your disposable period products and switch to reusable products. By switching to reusable options, like period underwear, you can have a greener period. These can be worn and reused again and again for up to three years, and completely replace disposables, reducing up to 99.5% of menstrual waste!
How eco-friendly and reusable period products are saving the planet, one menstrual cycle at a time
Sanitary products like pads and tampons are single-use products that can take up to 500 years to decompose in a landfill. Tampons and pads are thrown in the bin, and their wrappers and applicators, often made of plastic, are also discarded.
Sticking by our motto 'Always, good for you and our planet', here at fluxies, we are proud to offer sustainable, eco-friendly, and vegan period products.
Our reusable, easy to clean, and leak-free underwear completely replace pads and tampons, reducing your carbon footprint and saving you money. Together with our customers, we've already saved over 40 million disposables from landfill. Join us to help the environmental movement! Ditch the disposables and buy period pants today.
Why Make The Switch To Reusable Period Pants?
Every day in the UK alone, we flush away approximately 4 million pads, tampons and pantyliners. This works out at 175,000 disposable products being flushed away every hour. If you think about the 15 million menstruating people currently in the UK alone, and work out the maths, ditching disposable period products for reusable period pants has a massive environmental impact on our planet.
- One pair of our period pants lasts over three years and saves 200 pads or tampons from our landfills and oceans.
- Switching to reusable period underwear completely replaces disposable pads and tampons, and can reduce your menstrual waste by up to 99.5%.
- One person produces approximately 10kg of carbon emissions through using disposable period products. By switching to reusable period pants, this would be completely stopped.
- Up to one million fish, turtles, sea birds and sea mammals are killed each year due to plastic waste. Reducing our menstrual waste going to our oceans would reduce the number of animals harmed.
- 2.5 million tonnes of CO2 is released every year in the UK due to menstrual waste. By switching to reusable and biodegradable period underwear, this would be stopped.
Switching to reusable period protection doesn't only benefit the planet, it also benefits you! Aside from environmental reasons, there are many other reasons people choose to use sustainable period products, including:
- Using breathable period underwear made from natural materials means you can have a more comfortable period.
- Pads and tampons are known to contain toxins and chemicals. By using our period pants, you’ll protect your body from harmful chemicals and PFAs.
- The average person spends hundreds on period products every year. You’ll save more than 50% on menstrual products in the three year lifespan of period pants.
- Our period pants are 100% leak-free, so you never have to worry about getting caught out again!